Monday, March 11, 2013

A Short Plea

This is not something I plan to do on a regular basis, but while I was adding my links to the Links page, I was thinking about the charities I have listed there. It's always dicey bringing up donations and charitable giving--whether it's of time, money, or materials. Everyone has their own causes to support, their own worries, needs, and obligations. I understand. I do, too.

However, while the topic was on my mind, I wanted to post just a short plea, not to necessarily request donations for the charities I have listed (though if you are so moved, that would be mega-awesome!), but rather to request that if you're able, even if it's just $1 or an hour of your time, give it somewhere sometime this week. It doesn't have to be a huge amount or a big time commitment to make an enormous difference in someone else's life. If every capable person on the planet gave just half-an-hour to help someone else in need, think of the things we could accomplish!

It doesn't even have to be financial or a labor commitment at all. How about going down to give blood? Or changing your status on your driver's license to that of an organ donor. I know no one likes to think about that, but if the worst should happen, at least that tragedy could have a positive outcome for someone else. Or give up your seat on the bus or train for a pregnant woman, an elderly person, or maybe just someone who looks frazzled and has their hands full. Smile at a Grumpy Gus. Pass along whatever kindnesses you can. They will add up, from the smallest little thing to the largest.

Sending you thanks and smiles for making the world a brighter place,
~Chantilly