Monday, December 16, 2013

My Everyday Heroes


As 2013 comes to a close, I’m focusing on all the amazing family and friends in my life. With that in mind, here are just a few of the wonderful people I’m grateful for, and who inspire me every day:
My parents ~ They’ve stuck it out through some really challenging times. Health crises, financial hardships, familial upheavals. But next June they will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. If that’s not inspiring, and uplifting, I don’t know what is. They gave me the greatest gifts parents can give their children, a stable upbringing and a launching pad for my dreams. I’m thankful for their steadfastness.
My husband ~ He puts up with me, which is enough to get him to the top of the list, but he also gets up early every day to go to a job he hates in order to support our family and make it so that I can stay home to write. He’s an amazing father to our children. He’s a hero. I’m thankful for his perseverance and love.
My children ~ I can’t say enough about my three kids. They are A-MA-ZING. I’m so freaking proud of them and of the people they have become. They are loving, fun, helpful, considerate, polite. They’re smart and accomplished and talented. I love spending time with them, talking with them, seeing the world through their eyes. I am the luckiest mom in the world. They inspire me every single day. I’m beyond thankful for the love and joy with which they overflow my heart.


My oldest friends ~ I’m missing a lot of you these days. It’s so hard when good friends fall out of touch, but I hope you know how much I love you and how grateful I am for each of you in my life. Whether you were a neighborhood friend or one from school or work, you have enriched my life immeasurably. I know if we met on the street tomorrow, we would pick up right where we left off. I’m thankful for our history.
My Harry Potter friends ~ I have a lot of people that fall into this category—Harry Potter is such a great fandom!—but the ones I want to focus on in particular are my Castle peeps, and you know who you are. You were there for me at a time and in a way no one else was or could understand and have continued to support me with love and friendship and unbelievable fun. I am so thankful for you all, and you guys continue to inspire me with your depth of support, acceptance, perseverance, and love. HP Forever! Always.
My writing friends ~ Oh, so many people to list under one broad category! I would not be where I am today without every single one of you. Without your faith in me, your support, your business savvy, your camaraderie, your understanding. Every day, you strive to improve, to help others improve and reach their goals, to learn, to share, and to enrich the world with your amazing stories. I’m so proud to be a part of your community. I’m so inspired by your work. I’m so thankful for the richness you have brought into my life.
My readers ~ Like my writing friends, I would not be where I am today without you. It amazes me still, and thrills me, every time someone says they enjoyed my work, every time someone asks when the next book will be out. I can’t adequately describe what that feels like. I never really believed anyone would pay to read a story of mine, or would eagerly await the next. It is truly a dream come true, and there are no words powerful enough to express the depth of gratitude I have for the opportunity to continue doing what I love. Thank you. So much.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and have a safe and Happy New Year.

No comments: